Sunday, December 07, 2008

Pina


Pina Bausch is my favorite (by far) contemporary choreographer. She is German and only comes to the States once in a couple of years. I saw Néfès in 2006, which was similar to the clip above, and probably better, because it was quite a bit slower & more lyrical, inspired by Istanbul (imagine the possibilities...). This is the closest video I can find to convey the gorgeousness & lyricism of her work. You get lost. You leave yourself within the first notes and you hover over all this water and this frolicking. (Water onstage, indeed, then it dries up). A call to all New Yorkers: a new Pina Bausch production this week at BAM. The video will be on their site only for a couple of weeks - take a quick look.

And, to the same watery tune, Gaëtan taunting the waves earlier today in the South of France, with complete and utter abandon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this. It really was amazing. I wish I could see the whole production and the full stage. Lilly watched this with me and was mesmorized. I think it helps that dance is her first love. She does modern and ballet and thinks the world of it.

I will have to look and learn more about this choreographer. It was just breathtaking.

Thank you.

December 14, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Maria Petrova said...

Ooooooh I'm so happy my Godchild approves :) :) :) :) I love you both (or, for that matter, all 4 of you) very very much. If I ever get my hands on a Pina Bausch dvd, you are getting a copy of it.

December 15, 2008 at 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home