Thursday, October 23, 2008

Andrew Harvey


I'd like to start off this new, open direction of my blog by introducing Andrew Harvey. He is a synthesis of many religions and wisdom traditions and an extremely passionate advocate for peace and religious understanding. I went to his New York lecture a couple of weeks ago and to say I was transfixed would be an understatement. He speaks with SO MUCH PASSION about love, God, the religious experience, peace, healing, and most of all: unity.

I've heard it said many times that we are all one. In biology & chemistry, we learn about conservation of energy, the cycle of a water drop from cloud to rain to river to sea to cloud. We know that an action has a reaction. That gravity is a constant force upon our bodies, though we're not aware of it. That telepathy is a proven phenomenon. That one degree of weather change causes a tremendous change in the biosphere. I was aware of all this. But I had never, until I heard Harvey that evening, realized the full extent of this oneness, especially our human oneness with the natural world. How much our spirit depends on the health of our environment. On how many species there are. On what the average temperature is in Sudan in the summer. I'll talk much more about this, but for now I'd like to invite you, if you have about an hour, to watch Andrew's lectures. He's far more mesmerizing pacing around a room rather than looking at one point the whole time, but this will fascinate you nonetheless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sonja said...

Hello Mimi,

I saw Andrew speak when he came to the Global inspiration conference, in my hometown of Nelson, BC.

One thing he said that has stuck in my mind is that we need a practice that heats us up, and one that cools us down. There'll be times in our lives when we need the heat to get motivated and take action. Conversely, when the flames of passion get too intense, we need a practice to bring calm into our lives.

peace,
Sonja

November 6, 2008 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger richard dandelion said...

Excellent. Harvey sounds like a mustread.

In my research on deserts, I discovered that something like 85% of the amino acids and raw material of the Amazon rainforests come from the Sahara, whither they are blown by trade winds.

Who could conceive such intimate and essential connectedness?

November 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home