Sunday, July 29, 2007

ikonostasis

Ikonostasis is the stand on which icons are placed at the front of Eastern Orthodox cathedrals. There is a strict order in which the personages appear: Mary with baby Jesus on the right, Christ on the left, John the Baptist on the right of Mary and so forth. The consistent order is reassuring. This chandelier is an ikonostasis of sorts ("a stand for icons"). It's from a big new cathedral that was built 2 years ago in my hometown, just across the street from my school. This picture, from last fall, gives me such a sense of calm and order. It reminds me that there is a divine, gold center in everyone, and in everything, despite the shades of gray, despite the confusion in our dome of existence. What we know is domed, it has a limit — but through the top, light streams in.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gaetan said...

Your photo kind of remidns me of the earth scene with the spaceship in 2001 space odessy. See the clip at the following link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUiqgRzfkgM

July 31, 2007 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger wild murdocks said...

I do love the wide open simplicity of the dome contrasted with the golden splendor of the chandelier!

I've just returned from all of the family reunion fun and am trying to catch up, hope you are enjoying your summer!

July 31, 2007 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Maria Petrova said...

i love you two. thank you for commenting. yes, very much like the space ship, slowly and precisely orbiting towards the viewer : )

alina, your words "golden splendor" reminded me of the temple. thank you. i'll read about your family reunion on your blog.

August 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger Robert Ward said...

The last sentence of your blog is beautiful. It's a metaphor that I suspect is going to stick with me, lodged in the back of my mind somewhere, and one day when I'm in some beautiful place of worship, I'm going to see the falling light and say to the person I'm with, "You know, I once read that what we know is domed...."

August 17, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Maria Petrova said...

Thank you, Robert. Very kind.

August 18, 2007 at 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home