Sunday, July 22, 2007

abraham


This empassioned scene summarizes my deeply held belief that I must be willing to let go of precisely the thing I want the most. That I must retain an element of freedom, from people and from things, even in my most important relationships. That if I must have something, or someone, to be happy, I'm missing the point. It's a mythic scene, the kind of scenario that doesn't happen to those who don't really listen, and few humans have known the voice of the Lord as well as Abraham. (For myself I rely on common sense and on revelation when it jives with common sense.) But Abraham was Abraham, and he followed. I've felt before that I've had to sacrifice what I want the most. Parents know this feeling. When is sacrifice a good thing, and when is it too much? Sometimes I'm too selfish, but I can also be too selfless... I pray that I may always know the balance. {This picture is also a celebration of Gaëtan's deliverance from a fall on a mountain yesterday. Angels were with him as with Isaac. Blessed be.}

3 Comments:

Blogger Expavesco said...

Blessed be.
I always loved the story of Abraham's (Issac's) sacrifice.
These days it makes me sad to think that God would ask this thing of Abraham, even if was just a test (And extremely symbolic).

Mostly I am inspired by Issac, who knew he was going as an Issac to the slaughter.(I believe he knew)

Angel: God says just kidding.
Isaac: Awww...
Abe: Next time, boy.

July 23, 2007 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Gaetan said...

I am Gaetan, and I followed a calling to go to the mountain, I fell and hurt myself, and was able to get up, blessed and spared. The quiet inner voice speaks, the one that hears acts to one degree or another, a path unfolds, "we must do what we have to do". Being asked to go beyond the limits of who we think we are is the divine game! I see it as playing ball with God!
God give me the strength to come out and play...

July 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Maria Petrova said...

You are Gaetan indeed, and you are wonderful.

July 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home